Making decisions for your health can be overwhelming, but it doesn’t have to be frightening. It’s natural to look into the credentials or background of the spine doctor, but there are more factors that you also need to consider.
Here are some tips in finding a good spine specialist in Singapore.
- See what patients think. This is a good starting point once you’ve already found doctors who might be able to help you. You’ll hear straight from patients as to how it is to work with their spine surgeon. Don’t be discouraged by negative feedback, though. See, instead, how the practice handled them. Be sure as well that you’re looking at a reliable review platform. You want honest feedback from real people.
- Dig deep into their background. Find as much information as you can about the bone specialist in Singapore. How long have they been performing surgeries? Are they board-certified? Are they willing to share patient referrals with you? They may have patients who are willing to talk to you about their treatment experiences, but the spine surgeon must secure written consent from them first.
- Verify credentials. Take the time as well to verify credentials. Search medical board websites or organisations to ensure that you’re working with a licensed practitioner. Should you notice any discrepancies or inconsistencies with the doctor’s credentials, feel free to contact their clinic about it. It might be an error they overlooked, but it can also be a red flag that you need to take seriously.
- Ask people within your network. Ask your family, friends, or work colleagues if they or someone they know have experienced going to a spine clinic. They may be able to refer you to a doctor and also offer tips on how you can make the most of your visits. It may be tough to find someone who has seen a spine surgeon before, but it won’t hurt to ask. Few people who are willing to share thoughts based on their experiences would be helpful enough.
- Meet the spine surgeon. After compiling a list of spine clinics and doctors, it’s time to schedule an initial consultation. It’s hard to make a final decision based on research alone, so you need to meet the doctor (and their team) to verify the information you have. Prepare a questionnaire to ensure you get to cover all your concerns. The best orthopaedic surgeon in Singapore for you is one you feel comfortable with.
- Seek second opinion. It’s not always necessary to get a second opinion, but it can be useful if you’re uncomfortable with the first doctor you’ve seen. You shouldn’t feel obliged to get surgery only because you’ve booked an initial consultation. Be sure to ask the same set of questions to both practitioners so you can compare how they respond to them. Aside from having the right qualifications, your doctor should patiently explain their diagnosis, be willing to answer your questions, and make you feel listened to.
Finding a good spine specialist in Singapore shouldn’t have to be stressful. Take your time, ask around, and be honest with the doctors. The more information you’re willing to share, the better advice they can also offer you.